2018-19 Sport Development Program Announced
Alberta Golf is pleased to announce the Player Support portion of the 2018-19 Sport Development Program. This year’s program is an expansion of the High Performance Strategy released last year.
The program places an emphasis on sustainable athlete development throughout the province.
In 2019, each of our Sport Development Tiers have more clearly defined criteria, resources, benefits and recommended events:
Tier 1 – Club Players
- These players are playing the majority of their golf at their home course, or in their local community. There is minimal travel at this level. Recommended events at this level include the McLennan Ross Alberta Junior Tour and local Interclub events.
Tier 2 – Provincial Players
- These players are working on coordinating a travel schedule, as well as playing at their local club level. This is the most broad Tier of all and is a main focus for Alberta Golf. Organized in-season camps will be available to players in this Tier as well as event support from our top coaches. Opportunities to represent Team Alberta in this Tier include the Alberta/Montana Ryder Cup and the Western Canada Summer Games/Canada Summer Games. Recommended events at this level include the Alberta Bantam & Novice Championships and the Alberta Junior & Juvenile Championships, Future Links events, MJT, CJGA and City Junior events (CGA, CLGA & EGA)
Tier 3 – National Players
- These players are likely making the cut at a National Level competition. These players are actively playing golf at the highest level and have proven results on the Provincial and National stages. Criteria for this Tier will be continuously monitored throughout the year and players will be invited into this Tier as they meet the criteria. Players who meet this criteria will be contacted directly by Alberta Golf.
- Alberta Golf will support players at this level by subsidizing the costs that players incur for their training. Players are welcome to work with any sports professional of their choosing and subsidies will be paid directly to those professionals.
Tier 4 – International Players
- These players are representing Alberta on the International stage. Members of Team Canada are eligible for this Tier. Golf Canada Order of Merit and WAGR events are the focus of this Tier. Subsidies are available to these players.
Tier 3 and Tier 4 players will have access to the Alberta Golf Winter Program for High Performance Players.
Please click on the link to see the full document for more details.
In addition, Alberta Golf will be providing event support to all major events that Alberta players attend:
- Alberta Bantam
- Alberta Junior
- Alberta Men & Ladies Amateur
- Alberta Open
- Future Links Pacifics & Westerns
- Canadian Junior Boys & Girls
- Canadian Men’s & Ladies Amateur
- Alberta/Montana Ryder Cup
- Western Canada Summer Games (2019)
- Canada Summer Games (2021)
At National Level events, coaches will be available to all players representing Alberta. All available coaching positions for 2019 will be posted to the PGA of Alberta job posting site, and any eligible PGA of Alberta professional is welcome to apply.
Alberta Golf is offering two Open House opportunities for parents and players to come and have a conversation regarding the 2018-19 program. November 5thin Edmonton 3:00-6:00pm (location TBD) and November 6thin Calgary at Alberta Golf’s office 22 11410 27 Street SE from 3:00-6:00pm.
Director, Sport Development & High Performance