Preview: 2019 Alberta Open Championship presented by SVR Lawyers
Alberta Golf (Entwistle) – The 2019 Alberta Open Championship presented by SVR lawyers is set to begin on Tuesday at Trestle Creek Golf Resort in Entwistle, Alberta.
The Alberta Open was first contested in 1935. Legendary Canadian golfer Stan Leonard won the event a record 9-times between 1937 and 1955. The event was a regular stop on the Canadian Professional Tour at Wolf Creek Golf Resort for 13 years in the late 1980’s and 1990’s.
This year a field of 105 amateur, junior, PGA of Alberta professionals as well as veteran professionals on various developmental tours will compete for a purse of $18,000 with $5,000 going to the champion.
6-time champion Wes Heffernan is back to defend the title he won last spring at River Spirit Golf Club.
Dates: June 11-13th, 2019
Course: Trestle Creek Golf Resort
Yards/Par: 7,212 /72 (Jackpine and Creekside nines)
2018 champion: Wes Heffernan
Format: 54 holes of stroke play with a 36-hole cut to the low 60 and ties
The Alberta Open Championship began in 1935. There was a brief pause in the tournament from 2000–2002 which ended with the next Open champion being awarded in 2003. The distinguished Championship continues to bring together some of Alberta’s most outstanding touring professionals, club professionals, amateurs and juniors vying for the coveted “Alberta Open Champion” title.
2008 – Wes Heffernan
2009 – Ryan Yip
2010 – Jamie Kureluk
2011 – Wes Heffernan
2012 – Wes Heffernan
2013 – Riley Fleming
2014 – Riley Fleming
2015 – James Love
2016 – Brett Hogan
2017 – Dustin Risdon
2018 – Wes Heffernan
- Wes Heffernan– 6-time Alberta Open champion (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2018) is back to defend his title.
- AJ Armstrong – The 2018 Alberta Amateur Champion has recently turned pro after a stand out career at Washington State University.
- Riley Fleming – The 2-time Alberta Open champion (2013, 2014) has settled into his teaching career but still has the game to compete at the highest level.
- Dustin Risdon – The 2017 champion is back in the field after missing last year’s event.
- Max Sekulic – The amateur from Calgary won last week’s Alberta Match Play championship.
- Patrick Murphy – Recent graduate from UCLA making his pro debut this week.
- Tyler Saunders – Former Alberta Amateur champion and Alberta Open runner-up
- The low amateur at this year’s Alberta Open will earn a team position for the 2020 Pacific Coast Amateur Championship. They will also be joined by the Match Play Champion (Max Sekulic) and the champion of the 2019 Sun Life Financial Alberta Men’s Amateur Championship.
- The are 88 amateurs in the field.
- The 17 professionals will be competing for the $18,000.00 total purse.
ABOUT THE COURSE
Trestle Creek Golf Resort offers a spectacular 27 hole championship golf course and a innovative 9 Hole Par 3 course both designed by Brad Dupuis of Dupuis International Golf Design. Brad has built golf courses for Jack Nicklaus, Tom Weiskopf, Peter Dye and Von Hagge Design, around the world for over 35 years. You’ll find all the essential amenities and more, including an 11 acre, elevated two tier driving range with six target greens at GPS distances that will help you refine your golf game. The range has a combined 11,000 square feet of practice green and separate chipping green with practice bunkers.
More information on Trestle Creek Golf Resort can be found here.
ABOUT THE SPONSOR
Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP is a multi-service law firm based in Calgary, Alberta. Since its establishment in 1986, Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP has become one of Calgary’s leading legal service providers, focusing on delivering high quality, efficient solutions for clients. The partners, associates and staff of Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP come from a wide range of backgrounds, and this experience enables us to offer responsive, effective and creative legal solutions to our clients.