Sundre to host its first Alberta Open & Match Play Championships
Sundre Golf Club is set for the Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP Alberta Open and Match Play Championships
Pro-Am competition to kick off Alberta Golf’s 2017 championship season
SUNDRE, AB – Alberta Golf’s first two championships of 2017 are set to take place next week as the Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP Alberta Open and Match Play Championships get underway at the Sundre Golf Club from June 19th to 22nd.
The Sundre Golf Club will be hosting its first ever Alberta Open Championship. Located just over an hour north-west of Calgary, the course has a reputation for meticulously manicured greens and approaches, tight tree-lined driving areas and breathtaking countryside beauty.
“We are very pleased to open our 2017 championship season in Sundre,” said Jack Lane, the event’s tournament director. “We were last here in 2013 for the Men’s Amateur and have been eagerly awaiting this date on the calendar. Sundre Golf Club is in perfect condition, and we look forward to seeing this strong field of professionals and amateurs challenge the course.”
The field consists of the provinces 26 best touring and club professionals, along with 70 of the top amateurs looking to add their name to the trophy. Over 150 players attempted to qualify for the 36-hole championship.
Following the conclusion of the Alberta Open Championship on June 20th, the top 16 amateurs will qualify for the Alberta Match Play Championship. The final match will take place in the afternoon on June 22nd.
- Wes Heffernan – 5 time Alberta Open Champion
- Brett Hogan – Defending Champion
- Evan Holmes – 2016 Alberta Amateur & 2017 Canadian University/College Champion
- James Love – 2015 Alberta Open Champion
- Dustin Risdon – 2016 PGA of Canada Assistant’s Champion
- Scott Stiles – 2 time Alberta Amateur Champion and PGA of Alberta Professional
- Matt Williams – Team Alberta High Performance Squad Member
- First contested in 1935
- Stan Leonard won the event 9 times between 1937 and 1955
- Format – 36 holes of stroke play competition
- Purse – $15,000.00 (winner’s share $5,000.00)
- Defending Champion – Brett Hogan
Alberta Match Play
- 16 player bracket
- Defending Champion – Jack Wood
- 2017 Champion will receive a spot on the Alberta Morse Cup Team who will compete at the 2018 Pacific Coast Amateur Championship at The Olympic Club in San Francisco, CA
- The traditional nines have been reversed for the championship
- Championship tees – 6,881 yards, par 72
ABOUT ALBERTA GOLF
Alberta Golf hosts 13 annual provincial championships in order to identify the best golfers in various age and gender catergories. A mix of nearly 1,500 pro and amateur golfers compete on high quality member facility courses across the province. Championships are hosted by a core team of staff and over 100 volunteers. The tournaments promote competition, build pride in the community, support charitable giving and inspire future generations of golfers. They also serve as an opportunity for golfers to qualify for national amateur championships.
The Alberta Golf Association was incorporated as a society in 1912 and continues today as a not for profit Provincial Sport Organization (PSO) operating as Alberta Golf. As the PSO, we are commited to realizing the positive impacts of golf on indivudals and communities across Alberta. Our vision is that through golf, Albertans will enjoy a high quality of life, improved health and wellness, a strong sense of community, economic benefits and personal fulfillment.
ABOUT SCOTT VENTURO RUDAKOFF LLP
Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP is a multi service law firm based in Calgary, Alberta. Since its establishment in 1986, the firm has become one of Calgary’s leading legal service providers, focusing on delivering high quality, efficient solutions for clients. The partners, associates and staff of Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP come from a wide range of backgrounds, and this experience enables us to offer responsive, effective and creative legal solutions to our clients.
Director, Business Development & Brand