Preview: 2018 SVR Alberta Open ChampionshipWritten by Jack Lane
CALGARY – The 2018 SVR Alberta Open Championship is set to begin on Tuesday at River Spirit Golf Club. Defending champion Dustin Risdon is not in the field leaving it wide open for the strong field of 120 competitors.
“We are excited about the expansion of the SVR Alberta Open Championship to 54 holes this year. We have a strong field of touring and club professionals, as well as top amateur and junior competitors. We are in store for an exciting few days at River Spirit,” said Stephen Wigington, Alberta Golf’s Manager of Competitions and the Tournament Director for the Open. Wigington goes on to say that “this is the first year the SVR Alberta Open championship has a 2019 Pacific Coast Amateur team position available to the low amateur finisher.”
Dates: June 19th – 21st
Course: River Spirit Golf Club
Yards/Par: 7,090 /72
2017 champion: Dustin Risdon (@RizzyGolf)
Format: 54 holes of stroke play with a 36-hole cut to the low 60 and ties
The 2017 SVR Alberta Open Championship saw Dustin Risdon make 10 birdies on his way to a one-stroke victory over fellow professional James Love.
The Alberta Open Championship began in 1935. There was a brief pause in the tournament from 2000–2002 which ended with the next Open champion being awarded in 2003. The distinguished Championship continues to bring together some of Alberta’s most outstanding touring professionals, club professionals, amateurs and juniors vying for the coveted “Alberta Open Champion” title.
2008 – Wes Heffernan
2009 – Ryan Yip
2010 – Jamie Kureluk
2011 – Wes Heffernan
2012 – Wes Heffernan
2013 – Riley Fleming
2014 – Riley Fleming
2015 – James Love
2016 – Brett Hogan
2017 – Dustin Risdon
- Wes Heffernan– 5-time Alberta Open champion (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012) is back and in good form after a T6 finish at the Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada Victoria stop.
- Evan Holmes – The 2016 Alberta Mens Amateur Champion has recently turned professional and will be looking to kick-start his pro career with a victory on home soil.
- Jamie Kureluk – “Mr. 25” is in the field and will look to re-kindle the magic from his Alberta Open victory in 2010 where he opened with a 10-under-par 61 including a record setting back nine score of 25.
- Riley Fleming – The 2-time Alberta Open champion (2013, 2014) has settled into his teaching career but still has the game to compete at the highest level.
- The SVR Alberta Open champion will earn a team position for the 2019 Pacific Coast Amateur Championship. They will also be joined by the Match Play Champion (Brendan MacDougall) and the champion of the 2018 Sun Life Financial Alberta Men’s Amateur Championship.
- The field features a wide range of ages including one 16-year old, Theo Sekulic and a veteran competitor, Terry Filewich at age 65.
- The 29 professionals in the field will be competing for the $18,000.00 total purse.
ABOUT THE COURSE
River Spirit Golf Club is one of the most gorgeous golf clubs in all of North America, nestled along the edge of the Rocky Mountains. The Elbow River and Millburn Creek provide a breathtaking backdrop to many of River Spirit’s signature holes. But there’s more than just beauty to this course, with three different 9-hole layouts for a total of 27 holes that can be combined into various interesting layouts. The amenities at River Spirit Golf Club are sure to satisfy even the most discriminating tastes, this is truly a must-play Alberta golf course. More information on River Spirit Golf club can be found here.
ABOUT THE SPONSOR
Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP is a multi-service law firm based in Calgary, Alberta. Since its establishment in 1986, Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP has become one of Calgary’s leading legal service providers, focusing on delivering high quality, efficient solutions for clients. The partners, associates and staff of Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP come from a wide range of backgrounds, and this experience enables us to offer responsive, effective and creative legal solutions to our clients.