Preview: 2018 Alberta Senior Mens Championship
TURNER VALLEY– The 2018 Alberta Senior Mens Championship is set to begin Wednesday with one hundred and twenty players competing for the provincial senior crown. The 54-hole stroke play tournament field is made up of competitors who are over the age of 55 as of the first day of the Canadian Senior Mens Championship.
John Burns, Alberta Golf’s Field Manager of Membership & Competitions is this week’s Tournament Director for the Alberta Senior. Burns says that “competitors can look forward to a championship course in fantastic condition. Turner Valley will welcome Alberta’s best seniors from across the province and we are confident that the course will provide a strong test of playing ability.”
Dates: August 1-3, 2018
Course: Turner Valley Golf Club
Maximum Yardage/Par: 6,794 yards/72
2017 Champion: Frank Van Dornick
2017 Super Senior Champion: Frank Van Dornick
Format: 54 holes of stroke play
With a heat warning in effect and temperatures hovering in the mid-30 degrees at the Henderson Lake GC, the final round of the 2017 Guardian Capital Alberta Senior Men’s Championship needed two extra holes to name a champion. Frank Van Dornick of the Camrose GC outlasted Brian Laubman and Ken Griffith over the course of two playoff holes to capture his fourth Alberta senior crown.
Frank Van Dornick captured his 4th 🏆🏆🏆🏆 #ABSrMens crown in a playoff over friend & senior-rookie Laubman❗️
— Alberta Golf (@Alberta_Golf) July 28, 2017
The Alberta Senior Mens Championship was first contested in 1946.
2010 – Tom Skinner
2011 – Jim Russell
2012 – Frank Van Dornick
2013 – Floyd Kilgore
2014 – Frank Van Dornick
2015 – Floyd Kilgore
2016 – David Schultz
2017 – Frank Van Dornick
- David Schultz – 2016 champion
- Frank Van Dornick – Four time champion (2009, 2012, 2014 and 2017)
- Brian Laubman – 2017 Runner-up
- Jim Russell – 2011 champion; Ten time Bearspaw Club Champion
- Floyd Kilgore – Two time champion (2013 and 2015)
- There are multiple contests up for grabs this week. The Senior Championship for those aged 55 & over, the Super Senior for those aged 65 & over and an overall contests for age groups (55-59, 60-64 and 65+)
- The top three competitors at weeks end will make up Team Alberta at the Canadian Men’s Senior Championship at Gowan Brae Golf & Country Club in Bathurst, New Brunswick, September 4-7th.
- Alberta has 23 senior quota position available for the national championship along with 2 super senior quota positions.
ABOUT THE COURSE
The Turner Valley Golf Club dates back to 1930, when it was created by the employees of Royalite Oil, the company that was responsible for the development of local oil reserves. Originally a 9-hole course with sand greens, the Turner Valley Golf Club now boasts an 18-hole layout that spans between 4227 and 6856 yards, depending on which of the 6 tee options you choose to fit your game.
The course is characterized by its challenging and tree-lined fairways with small, well protected greens, all amongst breathtaking views in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains. Turner Valley Golf Club is a semi-private facility which caters to members and public players alike.
More information on the Turner Valley Golf Club can be found here.